Our History

It is hard to imagine what the land looked like to the first Europeans who arrived from across the Atlantic. Moses Starr and his wife, Deborah King, of Old Castle, County Meath, Ireland in 1720, the first recorded settlers of what would one day be Maidencreek Township, must have seen a paradise of pristine forests, clean streams, and abundant wildlife. They purchased five hundred acres from William Penn and set about building their home and clearing the land for their farm. They were soon joined by several other families mostly of the Quaker belief. By all accounts, they lived in peace with the Turtle Tribe of the Lenni Lenape for many years. By 1738, there was a settlement of seventy families, many of whom had relocated from the Oley Valley. These newcomers were called “Pennsylvania Dutch” by the English settlers even though they were of German descent. Most families farmed as the land was well suited to raising crops and livestock. Even today, 60% of the township is still used for agriculture.

It was not until December of 1746 that the Court of the Quarter Sessions at Philadelphia established Maidencreek Township. The township was named for the creek that extended diagonally through the township, a branch of the Schuylkill River called by the Lenni Lenape, “Ontelaunee” or “little daughter.” In the 1920s, the waters of Peter’s Spring and Maiden Creek were used in the construction of a dam that would extend and improve the City of Reading’s water supply. Lake Ontelaunee effectively separated the northern half of the township from the more populated southern half. Roads and homes were covered with water. The Starr farm, Maidencreek Township’s founding family, had been kept in the family until 1927 when it was sold to the City of Reading and along with most of that first Quaker settlement, became part of the Lake Ontelaunee Dam property.

Recent years have brought more changes to the township. In the late 1980s, development exploded around the village of Blandon due to inexpensive land, favorable zoning, and access to public water and sewer. In 1997, a special census was conducted. The township population had grown 92.9% in just seven years! According to the 2020 Census, the township is now home to 9,169 people. Change continues with the construction of roundabouts by Penn DOT to resolve decades of traffic congestion on Route 222. The story of Maidencreek Township can be described as one of growth and overcoming challenges that growth and change bring. The Township Board of Supervisors today is working to meet each new challenge, focusing on improving stormwater management, providing recreation space for residents of all ages and abilities, and supporting our emergency services.

Quick Facts

  • Maidencreek Township is centrally located in Berks County, a short commute to Reading, Allentown and Lancaster
  • It is made up of the villages of Blandon, Maiden Creek, Molltown, Evansville, and Buena Vista.
  • The township is governed by a three-member Board of Supervisors who serve staggered six-year terms, with one supervisor elected every two years.
  • The township is served by the Northern Berks Regional Police Department, the Blandon Volunteer Fire Company, and Northern Berks EMS.
  • Water and sewer service to the village of Blandon and Maiden Creek is provided by the Maidencreek Township Authority.
  • Part of the Fleetwood Area School District, Maidencreek Township is home to one of two elementary schools in the district, Andrew Maier Elementary, named for the Reading Baker who in the early 1950s donated land and funds for the construction of a school in the township where his wife grew up.