Zoning and Permits

Code Corner

Friendly Advice from the Code Office – Systems Design Engineering, Inc. 610-916-8500

Always remember the 4P’s – Proper Planning Prevents Problems. Are you thinking of building or installing a new Deck? Shed? Pool? Paving? Then, let us help you! We have certified staff to assist you in understanding the codes and rules that apply to any home improvement project.

  • First, plan your project.
  • Once you have planned the project (size, material, budget), you need to plan for permits and inspections. The only person who can legally tell you what is needed for your project is the Code Officer, Matt Davenport.
  • Secondly, once your project is planned, contact us for help!
  • We are here to help you understand the requirements.
  • Once permits are issued, be sure to follow through on them.
  • Instructions printed on the permit will tell you when inspections are required and who to call for those inspections.

Permit Processing

After turning in a permit application to the township it is sent to Systems Design Engineering. A household permit should usually be returned within 2 weeks of sending in the application. However, during busy times of the year delays are to be expected. Permit processing times can take up to 30 days if they are behind schedule. The township will reach out to you as soon as the completed permit is returned to our office. 

Additional Forms

This packet provides all the necessary materials for a homeowner to receive proper permits to install a pool or hot tub on their property.

Pool and Hot Tub Packet

Attached in this document are all necessary and potentially applicable fees for permits.

Fee Schedule

Zoning Map


If you are doing work that requires a permit, you must apply for it before work is scheduled so that you have acquired it before work commences. Contractors are oftentimes familiar with the permit application process and may help or do that work for you. However, we strongly encourage you to have the permit applications done in the name of the property owner. In an event where a contractor passes on the job but acquired permits in their own company’s name, the resident cannot do the work and would need the permit to be transferred to them.

If you are planning to harvest timber on your property or permit a contractor to do so, you would need to apply for a Township Zoning Permit and contact the Berks County Conservation District to submit an Erosion and Sediment Control Plan (E&S Plan) before work is scheduled. If you are utilizing a contractor, they should be familiar with the process and you could ask them to reach out on your behalf.

Upcoming Events

Park and Recreation Board Meeting

June 27 @ 7:00 pm

Recycling Day for Red Zone

June 28

Recycling Day for Blue Zone

July 5

Northern Berks Regional Police Commission Meeting

July 8 @ 6:00 pm